Wednesday, March 10, 2010

38 weeks and ready to be done!

I've been having Braxton-Hicks since Friday, the 5th. They've been pretty much every night starting after I eat until an hour or so after I lay down, but then they stop. Sunday I felt really motivated and Mike and I went to Costco and Walmart, I cleaned up the house, and didn't even take a nap! This is really unusual for me because doing all that even when I'm not pregnant requires a nap sometime in between. Mike kept saying he was shocked I had done so much that day. I started feeling yucky before dinner and didn't eat much and that continued to Monday. I must have overdone it Sunday because Monday I took 2 naps and didn't get much accomplished at all. After dinner Mike and I were watching a movie and my contractions started but this time they were different. They started in my back instead of just my stomach contracting. I timed them for an hour before even saying anything to Mike. (I know he thinks every time I get contractions I think "This is it!") So I just waited...

After and hour of 4 minute apart contractions that hurt somewhat, but still not excruciating, I called my mom. She said to lay down and see if they continue. Well they did. Mike went to bed at 9 so he was ready to be up all night. I tried to sleep but just kept watching the clock. Exactly every 4 minutes they would start again and I don't know if it was the contractions or the excitement of possibly being in labor that kept me awake. I finally fell asleep for about 45 min around 11:30. They woke me up again. I got up and called Labor and Delivery. I knew they weren't strong enough and everyone says you'll be doubled over, but I thought I should just ask. They had been 4 min apart for 4 hours. They told us to come in so I got ready and woke Mike up. He made himself a pot of coffee and I laughed and said, "You'll regret that when they send us back home." We debated about leaving Toby inside or putting him out. I knew if we left him inside they would admit me and he would destroy the house, I kept thinking of Marley on Marley and Me.

We went to the hospital and I was having consistent contractions but they weren't really strong enough to dilate me. After monitoring me for while she said, "I think you should go back home and get some rest because this is only the beginning." They gave me Ambien which knocked me out! When we got home I was in the kitchen and stumbling around like a drunk person, but drunk people don't know they are stumbling, I did. Mike said it was hilarious to watch me. Ya, make fun of the pregnant wife, that is always a good thing!
Mike and I went to the doctor Tuesday morning and I was still having contractions every 4 minutes. I was hoping to be at a 1 so he could scrape my membranes, but no such luck. I was still not even 100% effaced. UGH! I decided to not go to work in case I had a contraction and accidentally cut someones ear off. OOPS! I had contractions for 24 hours about every 4 minutes. Some had been strong and I had to stop what I was doing and some had been lighter and I could talk and laugh through them.

At 7:30 Tuesday night they pretty much slowed down to nothing. I've had a few here and there that really hurt, but now I just pray they start again with a vengeance. I've got a billion things to do and no motivation to do them. My thoughts are if I am really busy the contractions will be stronger so here I go...

Hopefully next time I write, I have a baby sleeping in the swing next to me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment